Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Queen Anne Playground, El Diablo, Queen Anne Farmers Market.



I will always have a fondness for QA, having lived there for 7 years. I loved the neighborhood, I loved running the crown of the hill and taking in all the vistas. I loved being in walking distance to everything I could need. And, now, I love coming here as a visitor and walking around someone elses neighborhood. And, on Thursdays, I love coming to the Farmers Market.(might be wrapping up soon, so go tomorrow!) Reason number 1: Poco Carreto Gelato, the offspring of my old place of work, Cafe Juanita. My last big project before I went on maternity leave last year was to create the recipes for the new gelato business that the chef, Holly, was to launch later that summer. For the last 6 weeks of work at 29 weeks pregnant, I would come into work, spinning gelatos, revising recipes, spinning more gelatos, tasting, tasting, tasting. Now, a year and some later, to see Poco Carretto doing so well and knowing that I had a little something to do with its birth gives me great pride. I cant help but stop by the market to sample the new flavors, right? (a little nostalgia. a tear.) Reason number 2: Skillet. two words, Bacon Jam. need I say more? no, but I will say that they have kick ass burgers, fries and some good lemonade too.
Reason number 3: good, local and organic produce..of course!

Before I hit the market, I like to stop by one of my favorite cafes on the hill. El Diablo. I recall when they first opened and, I remember thinking, how will they survive with Starbucks and Tullys down the street? Well, they have outlasted Tullys, and even since Peets moved in across the street from Starbucks (how ridiculous is this?), they seem to be plugging along. and, now I know why. they offer something different and unique. there coffees are good, although some are on the sweet side. but, it is different. cuban coffee in the Starbucks capital of the world, who would have thunk it?

After hitting my two favorite spots, I take Z up to the playground, just blocks away. They recently revamped this play area, and it is really nice now. They have a separate area for the little tykes, swings, a sandbox. The big kids area is pretty cool. If I could get away with it, I would be playing on the jungle gym too.

maybe in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment